Cleaning Methods for Box / Flytech Touchscreens, Kiosks and EPOS systems (COVID-19).
The rapid spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) has caused most food and beverage (F&B) operators to take a good hard look at their hygiene practices.
In this article, we share helpful tips and information from our hardware partner Box Technologies, on the correct cleaning methods for your Box / Flytech Touchscreens, Kiosks and EPOS systems.
It is important to use the right products and cleaning/disinfecting methods to help slow the spread of the virus, whilst protect your hardware investments.
Cleaning and disinfecting are two steps:
- Cleaning removes dirt, grease, dust and other contaminants
- Disinfecting is a separate process that uses a chemical designed to destroy bacteria and 99.9% of viruses
Cleaning your Product
- To prepare for cleaning the touchscreen, power down the device (if possible), or ensure your on-screen software can tolerate false touches while you clean.
- Do not get liquids inside the unit. Do not spray the device directly. Instead, use wet wipes, a sprayed cloth or a dampened cloth with the excess moisture squeezed off.
- Select only non-abrasive cleaning wipes or cloths to avoid scratching touchscreens.
- Avoid highly concentrated alcohol (> 70%), non-diluted bleach or ammonia solutions, as these may cause discoloration.
- Wipe the surfaces with the appropriate wipes or cloths and approved cleaning products, and allow them to dry.
Disinfecting your Product
- To prepare for disinfecting the touchscreen, power down the device (if possible) or ensure your on-screen software can tolerate false touches while you clean.
- Dampen a new clean, non-abrasive cloth with a disinfectant chosen from the list below. Ensure excess liquid is squeezed from the cloth. You may also use recommended pre-dampened wipes.
- Read the disinfectant manufacturer’s instructions carefully. Many manufacturers require the surface to remain wet for a few minutes, so continuous wiping might be required.
- Disinfect the surfaces by wiping them with the cloth or wipe, and allow the surface to dry.
- For disinfectant solutions that are safe for use with products, see below.
Disinfectant solutions safe for products
- Household bleach solution (1/3 cup of bleach per gal. of water)
- Isopropyl alcohol (≤ 70% alcohol)
Do NOT use the following materials when cleaning/disinfecting your product
- Isopropyl Alcohol at concentration > 70%
- Methyl Alcohol or Ethyl Alcohol at concentration > 35%
- Thinner or benzine
- Strong alkali lyes
- Strong solvents
- Detergents with fluoride
- Detergents with ammonia at concentration > 1.6%
- Abrasive cleaners
- Detergents with abrasives
- Formula 409
- Steel wool
- Sponges with abrasives
- Steel blades
- Cloth with steel threads